Saturday, September 29, 2007

Don't Worry; Be Happy

Scripture:
Luke 12:25-28"Has anyone by fussing before the mirror ever gotten taller by so much as an inch? If fussing can't even do that, why fuss at all? Walk into the fields and look at the wildflowers. They don't fuss with their appearance—but have you ever seen color and design quite like it? The ten best-dressed men and women in the country look shabby alongside them. If God gives such attention to the wildflowers, most of them never even seen, don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you?

29-32"What I'm trying to do here is get you to relax, not be so preoccupied with getting so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep yourself in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. Don't be afraid of missing out. You're my dearest friends! The Father wants to give you the very kingdom itself.

Observation:

Jesus has told a parable about a farmer who has such a great year that his barn will not hold all the crop harvested and so in such great excitement, he builds multiple barns. He even goes as far as planning his retirement and living the good life from hear on out. Then God shows up and tells the man he is going to die that night. Then Christ turns his attention to his disciples and begins to talk to them about fussing before the mirror. Did the disciples worry about retirement? Were they preoccupied with storing up for a rainy day and missing out? I do.

Application:

It's part of human nature to be worried about tomorrow. There is something in us that makes us want to be in control and to be in control, we must have some sort of control over the future. Our control comes from our wallet. Do we have enough for retirement. What happens if I get sick? What if my child needs something? What if the car breaks down? I find myself worring about things such as that all the time and Jesus is right...God knows all these things. Certainly God wants us to prepare for our furture lives. However and most of all, God wants us to put our faith in Him. So many times we put too much faith in ourselves and our solutions and God ends up being a footnote.

For me, I have to ask myself really hard questions that go something like this..."Do I trust God enough to take care of me and do my action so it?" "Why do I spend so much time in worry about things that are really out of my control? Shouldn't I find relaxation in that our God is so big and powerful and has all the hairs on my head counted (no matter how many or few).

So the big question becomes, what am I going to do about it? I am going to give a big worry over to God. I'm going to do everything in my control to prepare, but then I'm giving it to God. No more worry. The worry is stealing my happiness.

Prayer:

O God, you are so great and I am so small. I do find great comfort in knowing that you are all powerful and there is nothing on this earth that you can't handle. So Lord, this morning I come bearing my baggage. The stuff that has been holding me back, stealing my joy and bringing me worrry and sleepless nights. I give it to you and I trust in you that you have a better grasp on the reality of my life than I do. Thank you. Amen

No comments: