Saturday, March 1, 2008

"Do you still not get it?"

Scripture: Mark 8:16-21

Meanwhile, the disciples were finding fault with each other because they had forgotten to bring bread. Jesus overheard and said, "Why are you fussing because you forgot bread? Don't you see the point of all this? Don't you get it at all? Remember the five loaves I broke for the five thousand? How many baskets of leftovers did you pick up?" They said, "Twelve." "And the seven loaves for the four thousand—how many bags full of leftovers did you get?" "Seven."He said, "Do you still not get it?"

Observation:

The disciples had by this time seen some incredible stuff as the traveled with, ate with, and ministered with Jesus. They had not only seen him feed 4000 people with just seven loaves of bread, they had also seen him feed 5000 with just a couple fish and some bread and have abundently more than they started with left over. Yet, here when they realize someone forgot to pack the bread, they were quick to lay the blame and and worry about where their next meal was coming from. How quickly they forgot who they were traveling with. Jesus Christ himself. They had no reason to worry nor to bicker and yet this is what we see happening.

Application:

How often does this happen in our own lives? How many miracles have we seen with our own eyes and yet we forget or get distracted by the things of this world and lose sight of who we serve? Way too many. So, how am I going to apply this scripture to my life? I'm going to make a concerted effort to not stress over the little things in life. Those times when someone forgets to bring the bread and remembering that the Lord I serve is the great provider.

Prayer:

Almightly God, you have done so much for me and I continue to see your blessings and miracles everywhere I look. Yet, I so often lose focus and in those times of need, confusion, and despair I forget how great You really are. I become self dependent and crowd you out of the picture when I should be opening my lens and taking you in. Lord help me to do just that. I love you lord. I Christ, Amen.

No comments: