Saturday, June 9, 2007

Carpe Diem (Seize the Day)

Scripture: Ecc.9:7-10 Seize life! Eat bread with gusto, Drink wine with a robust heart. Oh yes—God takes pleasure in your pleasure! Dress festively every morning. Don't skimp on colors and scarves. Relish life with the spouse you love Each and every day of your precarious life. Each day is God's gift. It's all you get in exchange For the hard work of staying alive. Make the most of each one! Whatever turns up, grab it and do it. And heartily! This is your last and only chance at it, For there's neither work to do nor thoughts to think In the company of the dead, where you're most certainly headed.

Observation: This writer is saying something very simple. We don't get much time here on earth...in this life. Don't wait to life, do it now because we are all headed for death. We are marching closer and closer to the day when people are gathering at the funeral home looking at us in the casket. Seize Life! Eat, drink, dress with pleasure. The days we spend are a gift from God and the writer states that it is all we get in exchange for the hard work of staying alive...so enjoy life.

Application: I once was asked the question, what would you do if you knew tomorrow was the day you were going to die? Here is the list of things that I think I would want to do...
1.Spend it holding hands with my wife.
2. Teaching my kids something about life that they will need.
3. Call my mom and all the people I love.

There is a Tim McGraw song entitled "Live Like You Were Dying." This is what the writer of this Scripture is telling us. We dont' have long and everyday we have is a gift from God to be enjoyed. Enjoy your life...thats why God gave it to us.

Prayer: Almighty God, thanks for this beautiful day. Even though it is cloudy...I will enjoy it for you have given it to me to be enjoyed. So many times we get caught up in the downside of life. Help me to always look for the upside and relish in it. For it may be the last time that I have the opportunity to do so. May those at my casket on visitation night be talking about how I lived life to the fullest! In your glory...Amen

No comments: