Monday, June 4, 2007

Opinions

Scripture: 1 Welcome with open arms fellow believers who don't see things the way you do. And don't jump all over them every time they do or say something you don't agree with—even when it seems that they are strong on opinions but weak in the faith department. Remember, they have their own history to deal with. Treat them gently. Romans 14:1

Observation: We are to welcome all of God's family with open arms...even those who don't see things like I do. Even when you KNOW their opinions are not from their faith but still are very strong. I am to treat them gently.

Application: Most of the people in our society have the idea that we are always right. I told some seminary friends one time (as a joke) that their life would be so much better when they realized that I was always right. Even though I said that as a joke, so many times, Christians have a tendency to impose what we think is right on others. They have their opinions, I have mine...mine are the correct opinions and why can't they see it. Maybe if I shout a little louder they will understand and then a wedge is introduced into the relationship.

We must remember it's not the opinion that is most important...it's the relationship.

Prayer: Lord, one of the hardest things to do is to put self aside. To realize that we are not better than the other person. I pray for a spirit of humbleness and ask that you give me the wisdom to not put myself first. Give me the compassion to treat others as Jesus treated them...gently. Amen

No comments: