Friday, September 25, 2009

Caught in a Storm

Scripture: Luke 6:22-25 One day Jesus said to his disciples, "Let's go over to the other side of the lake." So they got into a boat and set out. As they sailed, he fell asleep. A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger. The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Master, Master, we're going to drown!"He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. "Where is your faith?" he asked his disciples. In fear and amazement they asked one another, "Who is this? He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him."

Observation: The part of this story that has always caught my attention is that the majority of these men in the boat were fishermen. They were used to being on the water and if there was anyone who knew how to handle a boat in rough water it was them. They also knew the dangers of being on the water during a storm. They knew the reality of their situation and they knew that it was quickly getting out of their control. Just like anyone else, when the situation gets out of control, we begin to panic. They were no different.

Application: When I think of times in my life that have been the scariest or the times when I have begun to panic, it is because I have lost control of the situation. There is comfort and strength found in our own abilities to control what is going on around us. Yet, there are times in life, when we are not in control. The winds are beating against the sails of the boat, threatening to tear them apart. The waves are beating against the boat from all angles and there is a better than average chance we will be swamped. These storms of life take on many manifestations such as financial, sickness, grades, problems with spouse, alcohol/drugs, deadlines, or anything that can make you feel helpless and hopeless.

However, there is hope. We serve a God who can rebuke the winds, tell them to stop blowing and they obey! That's amazing and if He can do that with the wind, just think about what he can do with my problems. If I will only trust in Him and not myself. Thats a pretty tall order.

Prayer: Almighty God, you are in control. Even when I think I am, you are and when I know I'm not, you are. Lord help me to rely on your strength, your wisdom, and your grace during those times when there is nothing I can do and to trust in you. Amen

No comments: