Friday, September 11, 2009

Getting Others to Pray with You

Scripture: Daniel 2:17-18 Daniel then went home and told his companions Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah what was going on. He asked them to pray to the God of heaven for mercy in solving this mystery so that the four of them wouldn't be killed along with the whole company of Babylonian wise men.

Observation: Things have been going well for Daniel and his three friends. God has blessed them in knowledge of books and life and they were gaining some notice by the King. All of a sudden, Daniel realizes that there is about to be a mass execution and he is on the list with all the others to be put to death. Gaining the back story from a guard, Daniel is willing to go before the king to describe his dream and interpret it for him. Knowing that he is blessed by God, he still takes time and realizes the importance of prayer and asking others to pray also.

Application: Like Daniel, God has blessed me in so many ways. As I sit here, I'm thinking that I should be in prayer 23 of 24 hours in the day and yet life goes on. In difficult situations, my first reaction is often times not to stop an pray but to try and solve the problem on my own. I have also noticed that I have to be in real trouble to ask someone else to pray for me. Why is this? Probably because it is a declaration that we cannot solve whatever it is on our own. It is a admission that we are dependent upon God and to be dependent upon someone other than ourselves takes control out of our hands. We as humans don't necessarily like that.

Prayer: Dear God, I admit that I don't pray as much as you would like for me to. I admit that I am stubborn and self-reliant to the point of weakness. I realize that for me to achieve all that you have set before me, I can't do it on my own and I must rely on you. Lord, please continue to work in me and help me to continue growing closer to you through prayer. Amen.

No comments: