Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Least is the Greatest

Scripture: Luke 9:46-48 An argument started among the disciples as to which of them would be the greatest. Jesus, knowing their thoughts, took a little child and had him stand beside him. Then he said to them, "Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For he who is least among you all—he is the greatest."

Observation: Even the disciples were jockeying for position. There were 12 of them in the presence of the greatest person who ever lived and they were worried about who among them was going to be the greatest. A little selfishness, pride, and ambition showing through even though they were right there in the midst of God.

Application: How often do we allow our own concern for greatness to take control of our lives? How often do we get overly concerned with our own position to the detriment of others. Take a look around, way too often. Jesus makes a huge point here that goes against all that the world taught back in his day and is still teaching with a vengenece today...that we must be concerned about ourselves first and others next. However, Jesus says the opposite...those who are the greatest here are not going to be the greatest, and those who are the least will be .

Prayer: Lord help me to take the emphasis off of me and place it on others. Help me not to get caught up in the ways of the world by looking after "Number 1" first. Amen

1 comment:

Hugh said...

I wish I could get service of others out of my head and into my heart. As it is, I know I'm not much but I'm all I think about. Thanks for your thoughts John.