Friday, May 4, 2007

A Bitter Pill To Swallow 4/27/2007

Scripture: "Abner shouted to Joab, 'Must we always be killing each other? Don't you realize that bitterness its the only result?' Then Joab said, 'God only knows what would have happened if you hadn't spoken. For we would have chased you all night if neccesary." 2 Samuel 2:26-27

Observation: Abner had the military advantage as he was on "top of the hill." vs 25 Yet, he realized that death woudl ensue and he made the first move. Not knowing what it would do or what affect it woudl have, he called down and asked, "Don't you know that bitterness is the only result." No matter who may have won the battle...bitterness would have won.

Application: This scripture has reminded me that its not all about me being right. I struggle with that! I can be right and have the military advantage and the winner is bitterness. I also realized that often the man with the military advantage has to make the 1st move in reconciliation. It's risky, can be dangerous to seek reconciliation especially when you have the advantage. But being a disciple of Christ is about going outside the norm, doing what is not safe and what is risky.

Prayer: Lord, open my heart to remove myself. Place in me a love not to destroy people because I am angry, have the winning hand, or even becuase I may be right. Bitterness is a dangerous and harmful pill that is destructive to relationships. Help me recognize that and cast it aside.

No comments: