Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Experiencing the Greatness

Scripture: I will tell everyone about your righteousness. All day long I will proclaim your saving power, for I am overwhelmed by how much you have done for me. Psalm 71:15

Observation: In this one short verse, there are three parts that we must pay attention to. The first part is that "I will tell everyone about your righteousness." The psalmist David is so excited about what has happened in his life hat he is telling God that he is going to tell everyone about the righteousness of God. I'm assuming this means everyone from camel keepers to the queen. Why, because David has experienced the righteousness of God and when that is expereinced we cannot help but to tell everyone.

The second part to this verse is "All day long I will proclaim your saving power." Here David gives a time frame as to when he is going to share God with his community..."All day long" and again he gives the reason for what he is proclaiming...the saving power of God. David has experienced this either in person or witnessesed the greatness of this saving power and he has to tell someone.

The third part is the one that really gets to me personally. "...for I am overwhelmed with how much you have done for me." It is amazing at how much God has done for each of us through his love. The miracles performed, the love of others, the grace that has been freely offered. If I take the time to really concentrate on all that God has done for me in a single day...it is overwhelming. Why does he do it, for the same reason he did it for David, God loves us.

Application: How will I be different today because of what I just read? As I read the passages this morning and began journaling, I watched the sun come up! It was a miracle that happens everyday. I realize that no matter what I am going through in life, God is at work in my life. Sometimes life gets me down...I have a rough day and just want to crawl into a hole. Yet the Lord has blessed me with a beautiful wife and wonderful children. God has also placed people in my life that allow Him to work through them. Often times I am "overwhelmed" by their presence, their words, and their actions and know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is God using them. I realize that I am not far away from God, but that God is inching ever so close to me.

This realization and recognition of the many things that God is doing in the world, the nation, my city, my community, and my life give me encouragement to "make it through the day". It also lights a passion to tell others about the mighty righteousness of God and the saving grace that only comes through a relationship with Him.

Prayer: God, Master of the Universe, King of kings and Lord of lords, I come to you in prayer. Thanking you for the way you act in my life. It's difficult to live in this world today. We have problems that can't be imagined and it's so easy to try and tackle them on our own. When we do this, we feel frustrated, bogged down, defeated. However, if we bother to look, you are right there beside us...offering a way, a path to go down. You are offering o us grace and love. Lord, open my heart to received your righteousness, your grace and let me be overwhelmed by your love. Let the overwhelming feeling grow to the point where I must share it with others all day long or I'm going to explode! Thank you God for being in my life. I know you are going to be doing some pretty awesome things today...I ask that you offer me the privelidge of having a small part in what you do in the world today and I will give you the glory, honor and praise.

No comments: