Monday, May 14, 2007

Work of the Levites

Scripture: And so, under the supervision of the priest, the Levites watched over the Tabernacle and the Temple and faithfully carried out their duties of service at the house of the Lord. 1 Chronicles 23:32

Observation: 1 Chronicles 23 is a detalied description of the duties of the Levites. They were decendents of Levi and they had to be 20 years old to qualify for service in the house of the Lord. The Levites are the ones who carried the Tabernacle adn its utensils from place to place. They were in charge of taking care of the side rooms and courtyards; helped perfort them ceremonies; in charge of the sacred bred that was set out on the tables; and each day (morning and evening) they sang songs of thanks and priase to the Lord.

Application: What an honor it must have been to be chosen to take care of the Lords Stuff. They were responsible for making sure everything was set up in its proper place and done in the proper way. Why did they do this, one reason and one reason only...to serve the Lord. I believe they found great joy in their work, not because of the specific task (which I'm sure some enjoyed) but becuase they were working for the Lord.

There are things around the church that I don't like to do and yet they must be done. Instead of complaining and doing these things with a bad attitude, I need to remember why and for whom I am doing it. This allows even the most meninal task to bring joy.

Prayer: Almighty and wonderful God. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you and Your Kingdom. There is so much to be done and its all of great value because it is done for you. Help me to remain focused as to why I do what I do and for whom that I do it. When I start to grumble or wonder why someone else gets to do the "cool" job, remind me that whatever I may have been assigned to do is for you and my joy is found in you.

No comments: