Friday, May 4, 2007

Out of Control 4/28/2007

Scripture: "And even though I am the anointed king, Joab and Abishai are too strong for me to control." 2 Samuel 3:39

Observation: A war has been going on between those who are loyal to Saul and to David. Yet one of Saul's greatest leaders has a change of heart due to something done against him and gives his loyality to David. David invites him and entertains with a great feast. But as Abner is leaving, two who were loyal to David return from a raid. They kill Abner. They go against what the person in charge, king David, has decreed and take matters into their own hands. The one who is in control feels out of control...what does he do, he turns it over to God.

Application: My watching over my mom has been on battle after another. As her son I feel that I am the "appointed heir." They one who has the responsibility to watch over her and to care for her. Yet there are two people who have very little interest and no responsibility running about with knives out. They are doing as much damage as they can. It's out of my control and as king David said, "They are too strong for me to control."

All too often in life there are things that are out of our control and yet we are a "controlling people." We like to be in charge because it gives us some assurance of that at least we are in control. Yet, we are not made to be in total control. God is. Learning to give God control in all aspects and areas of my life is probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to do and yet it is the most important.

Prayer: O Lord, release my heart. I am fighting battles on all fronts. E, C, V, J, M. All are battles that I feel I must win, but all have factors in which I cannot control. Lord grant me the wisdom to make the right decisions, the discernment of when to talk, and when to keep my mouth closed. Lord, I give these situations over to you. Amen.

No comments: