Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Not By Doing

Scripture: "Money paid to workers isn't a gift. It is something they earn by working. But you cannot make God accept you becuase of something you do. God accepts sinners only because they have faith in him." Romans 4:4-5

Oberservation: This verse gives the answer to the ultimate question...How can I be accepted by God. I am unworthy. I am a sinner and I haven't done what I am supposed to. I have broken the rules (Laws). The acceptance in God's eyes is not payment for a job well done. That would be as if a child being paid for being your child.

Application: So how can I be accepted by God? Only by faith. It has nothing to do with how good you are or by how well you obey the law. Because we are human and there is NO way to obey the law well enough or be good enough to be accepted by God. It can't happen. My children have lost their computer privelidges for 2 weeks. (by the way, it's been a tough two weeks on me and Jill). It's been amazing to watch them "be good" to get an hour here or an hour there as a reward for being good. "If I can just get my room cleaned up well enough or if I do my own laundry or if I load and unload the dishwasher without being asked...maybe I can get some computer time." Jill and I are softee's when it comes to dealing out discipline and we give in...probably too much but that's another journal entry. Their good actions may restore some of their privledges, but that is not the basis for our relationship. That basis is built on love. We know they love us and they know we love them.

Our relationship with God is not based upon our actions...its based upon our love for God. In order to be accepted by God, Paul writes, that "God accepts sinners only becuase they have faith in him." They love him, they rely on him, they know that without Him we are nothing and they know that He loves them back.

It's a funny thing (or maybe I should say a God thing) when the faith you have in God grows and builds. As you "work" on your faith...a desire, a passion is revealed in you to obey God's commands. Not because they will bring you acceptance from God but because they are instructions on how to live a Godly life. Even then, we are going to fall short, but God accepts even our shortcoming when we are devoted to Him.

O Lord, help me to remember that I can't buy your love and it's only through my faith in you will I find acceptance in your Kingdom. Lord, help me to grow my faith more day by day. Amen

No comments: