Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Living

Scripture: Finally, dear brothers and sisters, we urge you in the name of the Lord Jesus to live in a way that pleases God, as we have taught you...God has called us to be holy, not to live umpure lives. Anyone who refuses to live by these rules is not disobeying human rules, but is rejecting God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you. 1 Thessalonians 4:1,7-8

Observation: We are called to live a life that pleases God. God has given us the ability to live a life that is holy or he woudl not have called us to it. It is our choice as to whether or not we will choose to live the holy life that God desires for us. If we choose not to live a life that is pleasing to God; we are rejecting God.

Application: My joy, my happiness, my security comes from God. I tried for so long to live a life that was all John and it did not work out. I was bitter, lonely, and empty. As much as I tried to fill up from the outside world, I just became more drained. The only way that I have found to find true joy, satisfaction and fulfillment is through doing what God has called me to. Living a Holy life.

Yet, it's a battle everyday, becuase I am always tempted to "do things my own way" and reject God. As I have grown spiritually, things that once were huge temptations now have no effect whatsoever. However, temptations find your weak spot and its like a fly going to jelly. My weak spot is when I get stressed. When I have no ability to do anything in regards to a situation. It ruins my day and robs my joy. That has been happening a great deal lately. My joy comes from the Lord and nothing can steal it unless I ALLOW it to come like a thief in the night and take it.

So the big question in this section of journaling is "How am I going to be different because of what I read this morning?" 1. I am going to call these situations for what they really are...attempts to steal my joy! 2. I am going to say (out loud) to these temptations, "You're trying to steal my joy and We're (me and the Holy Spirit) not going to allow it. 3. I am going to trust in God. (Wow, that doesn't sound like a big one for a preacher, but it is in certain situations.) God has never failed to give me what I need ("provide for us our daily bread) and there is no situation that God cannot overcome.

Prayer: O Lord, there are so many things happening in my life that are just totally out of my control. You know that I am a control freak and so there is no sense in dwelling on it for too long except to say that I have realized that it is causing me to lose my joy. My discontent meter is rising and my joy cylinder is dropping because of the multiple situations in my life going on right now. Lord, I'm not asking that you remove these situations...I know you could! I am asking for you to help me learn how to be in a situation where I am not in control and retain my joy.

God you are the King of kings and the Lord of lords. You are the one who gives me my strength, my fulfillment and my joy and I am the one who allows them to be taken away. Teach me, I plead, so that I may serve you in ways that I cannot begin to imagine. In Christ...Amen

No comments: